Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Recovery Efforts

"Free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"
-Dr. Martin Luther King

These are the famous closing lines of King's most famous speech, "I have a Dream."

I had a dream once, albeit more guilty and self-centered than King's. Dr. King's dream was of racial and social equality, I just dreamed of the day when I would never have to endure another class, another assignment, another semester, month, day, hour, minute of school.

Now it is all over, save the part where I get my degree. CCSU pretty much hustled us across the stage, and while I appreciate the brevity of a ceremony celebrating the simultaneous graduation of 1200 students, something a bit more personal would have been appreciated for all of our collective "effort".

This all feels a little foreign. As much as I hated higher education, I met many of the most interesting people I know because of my connections and participation in college. But I still don't know as much about "life" as I would like to. My new found maturity feels like anything but, and I can't help but be utterly repulsed by the real world more than ever. The real world created the culture of spend and need that put us in this economic pit in the first place, and I wonder why our elected officials seem to think more spending will solve the problem.

Oh well, now at least I have more time to write. Expect much more in the way of musings to come, if you're into that sort of thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment